Back in December I posted that I would be making a Mermaid Tail Afghan for a friend’s two year old.
After many stops and starts, it is finally finished!
The only reason I kept putting this project down over the months was the ends…more ends…and even more ends. There are a ridiculous amount of ends to weave in, as you are changing yarn every row. If (big if) I were to do this again, I would do either of the following:
- Only use variegated yarn for the entire project or
- Split and wind the skeins into two of each color so I could carry the yarn up the sides as I switched every row, rather than having to cut and weave.
Last week I decided I NEEDED to finish this blanket. Not only because my friend was waiting so patiently for it, but also because I am starting a KAL this week and want to feel free to spend as much time on that I as want.
So, one evening I sat and wove in all the ends that were present and for the remaining blanket I wove in ends every 4th row so it wouldn’t become overwhelming.
The only other change I made was to the fin. I made my starting chain for the fin 33 stitches instead of 43 (wanted a smaller fin for the smaller size of the blanket). I also added one row of HDC. When I sewed the fin on, the sides pulled up, so it looks a little less “pointed” than it did prior to sewing it on.
It really is an adorable blanket and I encourage everyone to check out Nadia’s site for lots of great patterns and video tutorials.
Pattern: Mermaid Tail Afghan (3 Sizes available)
Hook: Furls Odyssey 5.5mm
Yarn: RedHeart SuperSaver Grape Fizz and Deborah Norville Yarns Everyday (this was super soft yarn)