Mini Hull Poncho

In the beginning of July I posted my project picks for “A Year of Projects” (aka YOP).

I listed Nerd Girl Yarns Hull Poncho.

Who knew that finding affordable size 19 circular needles locally would be near impossible?

I’m always fascinated that it is actually less expensive for me to order from a UK based site and have it shipped to good ole USA than it is to order from a US based company or a chain store such as Joannes.

So, that is what I did and my needles are making their transatlantic journey.

In the meantime, I decided to test out the pattern.

image

I only wanted to use one skein of yarn (Buttercream Collection Alpaca Solids) so I made Miss ME a poncho.

image

Yes, I know, we will have matching ponchos!

The pattern was very easy and the yarn was soft and easy to work with.

I love chunky yarn and big needles!

As a new knitter, it makes me feel so accomplished to finish a project quickly.

For mine, I plan on doing a color block with grey and purple.

I could have made her’s a little bigger, but why use up some of the other skein of yarn for something she’ll probably wear for 2 minutes and whip off?

image

Happy Knitting & Crocheting!

Come join the Blog-a-Long Year of Projects!

yearofprojectspost6

Linked to: Creative Jewish Mom, Its All About Crochet, Bee A Crafter, I Gotta Create, Sew Can Do, Live Randomly Simple

22 thoughts on “Mini Hull Poncho

1. dorothyoz says:

Bulky knits seem to be in this year – I could certainly do with one right now as its freezing here in Australia. As a new knitter, you’ve done well – the little poncho is gorgeous. Hope your big needles turn up soon. xox

2. Marsha says:

WOW!! Size 19 needles……………….those would be huge. I’m using a 13 and they seem like logs to me. Your poncho is cute but the model is even cuter.

3. Renee Anne says:

I have a love-hat relationship with bulky yarn. There’s not a lot of use for it here in California but it was a staple in Wisconsin. As a result, I have a fair amount of bulky in my stash…and it’s going unused. ::sigh::

That poncho is adorable on your beautiful little girl. 🙂 Maybe I should try me some bulky knitting. I’m curious, as a beginning knitter, do you find it easier to knit than lighter weight yarn?

Oh my yes! Easier for me fix a dropped stitch, etc. Plus seeing progress is so gratifying! With fingering yarn I was discouraged that I was knitting for days and only had inches done.

5. Stefanie says:

OMGosh, your daughter is beautiful. Love that little corner dimple she has. She is so happy with her poncho handknit by her mama. You must take a photo shoot with you and her in your matching ponchos once yours is done. There are these cool photos I’ve pinned where a mum and her daughter are in matching or similar outfits with sunglasses on. The daughter I think stands on a chair. They look chic and I think you two doing that would be awesome….just a thought.

Liked by 1 person

6. Ruth says:

Oh what a cute poncho and your daughter is even cuter! Your right no point in wasting the extra yarn and they already grow so quick. It would be great to see you both in your matching ponchos

You are GOOD! That is your first knitted project? I would call that a smashing success! And your “model” is the just the cutest! She is so precious! I too have ordered from overseas (Deramores) and one time I ordered from the U.S. and the U.K. on the same day and the U.K. order came days before the U.S. order arrived! Go figure? Not a good sign plus shipping within the U.S. is high. Some charge you way more than it actually is if you check your package. I once was charged like $7 and when I received the package the postage stamp on the front said $2.75. I call that cheating and when I see it I won’t buy from that company or person again.
    I love your blanket on your header. I am also a crocheter who taught myself to knit and I love both! I can’t wait to see what you make next. Give that little one a big hug! My grands are coming Saturday and I can’t wait!