Yarn Along

When Ginny decided to stop doing the weekly Yarn Along, I was bummed.

I liked going every week to find good book recommendations and knit and crochet inspiration.

I am so happy that The Little Room of Rachell has decided to pick up the task of hosting!

This week I am listening to The Wonder by Emma Donoghue.

In Emma Donoghue’s latest masterpiece, an English nurse brought to a small Irish village to observe what appears to be a miracle-a girl said to have survived without food for months-soon finds herself fighting to save the child’s life.Tourists flock to the cabin of eleven-year-old Anna O’Donnell, who believes herself to be living off manna from heaven, and a journalist is sent to cover the sensation. Lib Wright, a veteran of Florence Nightingale’s Crimean campaign, is hired to keep watch over the girl.Written with all the propulsive tension that made Room a huge bestseller, THE WONDER works beautifully on many levels–a tale of two strangers who transform each other’s lives, a powerful psychological thriller, and a story of love pitted against evil.

~GoodReads

Honestly, I’m not sure what to think about this book.

I am about half way through; I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either.

I wanted a light read, so that choice is A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers #1).

Not too much happens in the sleepy little town of Timber Ridge, North Carolina, —which is fine with pizza-purveyor extraordinaire Eleanor Swift. The spunky owner of A Slice of Delight is trying to mend her broken heart and could use a little quiet time. But when a late night delivery customer turns up dead, she’s in for just the opposite in this delicious mystery series debut, featuring pizza as the prima character . . .

~GoodReads

Sometimes, I just want a cozy, easy read.

This week I finished my BOOM! Shawl (yay!  I’ve been knitting this forever).

I had one Caron Cake in Rainbow Sherbet.

I searched Ravelry to see what people had knitted with one cake and BOOM! Shawl came up quite often.

Plus, it is a free pattern!

I love it!

IMG_5443

I love the colors and its is warm and snuggly.

IMG_5444

Next up, Jennifer Ozes Carleton Cocoon Sweater (crochet).

I purchased this as a kit from Craftsy during a sale.

Chocolate brown yarn, not my preferred choice but it was one of the few kits left available .

As always, I am slowly adding to my Charlotte Square Afghan.

Have a good week!

19 thoughts on “Yarn Along

1. The Little Room of Rachell says:

So funny because my friend and I looked at Caron cakes at the craft show we went to in London on Saturday! It’s great to see one being used to such pretty effect.

Thank you for joining Yarning Along, I hope to sort out the links so thumb nails appear on the blog page soon!

2. Stefanie says:

What a project name for that pattern! Garter stitch is sometimes what a crafter needs, yeah? Your shawl reminds of the Colorblock Shawl by Jen Emerson. I had added that to my Ravelry faves after a perusal of Espace Tricot’s project page.

I may join you all over at Rachell’s as I Iove her projects and yours too! Your Boom shawl does remind me of the on e Stefanie did awhile back that I also loved and I have wanted to try a Caron Cake so now I have the pattern! Thank you! You should check out http://www.thecozy-mystery.com site as you can get the exact custom mystery series suited to your tastes! It’s a wonderful site and there is a blog also. Have you tried Jacqueline Winspear or Louise Penny msyteries? They are excellent. I’m off to shop for a Caron Cake! LOL! Have a great week!

Oh, I love this shawl!!!! I’ve been wondering what to do with my two different single cakes of Caron Cake yarn — not wanting to try to buy more to go with them in order to make larger projects, but not imagining I could make more than a straight scarf or maybe a couple of hats with one cake. I was pretty much thinking that’s what I’d do when I got around to it – knit a simple straight scarf – which would have been fine. But I love this idea more. I’m going to check it out and see if I’m up to the all decreasing or increasing (I don’t know which end you start with). Whatever I do with this yarn, you’ve challenged me to think beyond what was feeling a bit too safe, even for a beginning knitter like me.

5. Cyra says:

That is definitely a great shawl in beautiful colours, and it is nice to hear about what books people are reading. I’m always on the lookout for an easy read, preferably mystery with a hint of comedy (the Agatha Raisin mystery series fits the bill).

6. Lisa says:

Lovely shawl! I am also happy that The Little Room of Rachell has picked up yarn along on Wednesdays, I really missed sharing with people who also knit and crochet and to visit blogs that were participating to find new blogs.