Fashionista Quilt

A friend of mine recently adopted a two year old girl!

It was a long process unfortunately full of obstacles.

I couldn’t be more thrilled for the entire family.

Along with giving them many of Miss ME’s baby things (mattress, high chair, etc), I wanted to make the cutie something.

She is honestly a fashionista!

Not kidding, she should be featured on Humans of New York’s “Today in Micro-Fashion” segment.

I found a cute 2.5 inch strip roll at Joann’s that is all pink, cream, gray, black and Paris themed-perfect!

I made a very simple quilt top, just stitching the strips together.

Then it sat…and sat…and sat.

IMG_6298

It looked good sitting in front of my trusty Brother Machine.

I am not good at binding and was hesitant to start, mess it up, become frustrated and frog everything.

One of my YOP items is to take a class (either live or on Craftsy) to expand on one of my crafts.

Recently, along came an email with a list of Craftsy classes for $9.99.

Mastering in Minutes Finishing Quilts was featured.

A winner!

As a new quilter, this was so worth the $9.99.

My stitching on the binding still needs A LOT of work (still have stitch lines that aren’t so straight), but with the instructor’s tips and video my corners turned out perfect!

IMG_6299

I’m so pleased with how it turned out!

I love the backing fabric (pale pink and gold) and I had enough pink polka-dot stash fabric for the binding (more great tips in the Craftsy Class).

IMG_6302

One lesson I learned is this: before pinning the binding on, really think about direction.

I pinned the beginning binding and went to my machine only to realize I was doing it so all the quilt would have to be bunched on the right and passed through the machine…not good or easy.

I re-pinned and had the quilt to the left which was much easier to handle.

I hope she and her new daughter enjoy it!

(I thought I got all the spare threads off the floor-oops!)

Have a good week!

Untitled7

Linked to:
The Crafting Nook

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

I Should Be Mopping the Floor

Sew Can Do

The Quilting Room With Mel

16 thoughts on “Fashionista Quilt

1. Rain Frances says:

Lol @ the thread on the floor! That quilt is simply WONDERFUL, I am so envious, and omg I’m envious at all the stitches on your Brother!!! My machine is a Singer but a basic one. My boyfriend Alex got me a big old digital machine for Christmas in 2014, and I was just so overwhelmed by it, I asked him to replace it with a basic stitch/zig zag machine! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love how you wrapped it too! Very nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

PS A friend of mine also just finished an adoption process. She started fostering two little ones and wanted to adopt them, it took nearly 3 years and so many hassles, but it’s all done and she’s so happy. I’m happy for your friend too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you! Honestly, I have used 4 stitches on that machine (out of the 53!). I also have 2 vintage machines that are straight stitch only and I can’t wait to get the Singer one working perfectly so I can stitch away on it!

I’ll say, hearing what she went through during this process was eye opening. Thank you for your kind words!

I’ve only bought the one I mentioned and I then downloaded 2 free sewing ones they have (to make tote bags). I enjoy them (have many of their crochet and knitting classes). I learned a lot from Youtube, but this quilting class in particular had very tight camera shots on what she was doing which was very helpful.

2. dorothyoz says:

That is an adorable, very fashionable little quilt. A gift to treasure. I’ve done a few craftsy classes – they’re great aren’t they? Have a good week.

What are you talking about? You do beautiful work and at least you do it! Your quilt is beautiful and the recipient will adore it! How thoughtful you are and to share ME’s things and to make her a quilt. I saw the sale on Craftsy but I have a couple classes I bought before and still have not finished so I didn’t partake but that sounds like a great deal and a great class! Congratulations on a job well done!

Thank you Sandra! I know what you mean, I have many knitting Craftsy classes I need to start and finish! My First Sweater, Hap Shawl, Knitting Lab-Knitting in the Round. I went crazy when I started knitting last year, but as my skills grow I get itchy to take on a bigger project and these classes are great!