Hitchhiker

I finally finished my Hitchhiker Shawl!

I started this sooooo long ago.

While having lunch with my college roommate, she showed me her completed Hitchhiker and I loved it.

Never having worked with any yarn thinner than worsted (while knitting), I was nervous to tackle fingering yarn.

I chose to use Lion Brand Mandala in Centaur (#3 weight) and 4.5mm circular needles.

C0C427D7-16E9-4041-A8AE-B39755FBCA3D

I knit this at home, in the car and at work when I was on call.

6BB1E3BE-2774-4726-896B-3ECE6147B51E

This was a good, mindless, tv watching project.

Looking at it now, I can see my skills improving throughout the shawl (thats how long I have been knitting this thing).

I finished it today and I love it!

B5037993-9F0A-49BD-9FF9-0CEA2BA6D3BA

FD5367F4-B3A4-42A4-8D09-1B4CD24F8820

Yay!

I also finished another languishing WIP-Textured Scarf from Knit Simple Magazine Holiday 2017.

I really lost interest in this scarf, so I chose to stop, make it a child’s scarf and give it to Miss ME-she loves it!

Made with Premier Yarns Sweet Roll or Candy Roll (I lost the label), it is super soft.

4EB37DB1-A8CC-4388-A929-B2F326415510

Next I am finishing my Telluride Kimono Sweater.

I have one panel finished and need to cast on panel #2.

I really want to finish some WIPs before I move on to my first sweater and socks.

Have a great week!

Linked to:
Creative Jewish Mom

22 thoughts on “Hitchhiker

1. Marsha Noce says:

I like your shawl. Doing it in #3 weight yarn is great. Makes it a bit bigger.

Scarves areso hard to make. They seem to take forever.

Your Hitchhiker Shawl is lovely, Ali. I love all the pictures of it and the yarn. And the other scarf is cute! I’m glad Miss ME loves it. I think the yarn is fun and the pattern cute.

3. Allison Anselmo says:

I don’t knit but I want to learn only so I can do a hitchhiker..lol.
    I love how the colors worked on yours, I’ve been eyeing some of the mandala colors lately too.
    I think I should pick one up and get the process started!
    Thanks for the lovely inspiration!

Love how your Hitchhiker turned out. Your projects always look great. Did you have to block it? I was curious about blocking acrylics. Plus, I have been wanting to make a Hitchhiker for a long while now but never thought of using Mandala….great idea and it just so happens I have 2 skeins of Warlock! Yes, I am ‘casting on all the things’! Your scarf for Miss ME is right up her alley and she will look so pretty in it with her dark hair. Have a great week!

5. highlandheffalump says:

I’ve been working on my hitchhiker for ages and using light fingering yarn and its taking forever. I spotted someone on Ravelry has done an alteration to do teeth on the other edge when casting off…I haven’t decided if I will try that or just keep going. For a while I thought I had a magic ball of yarn that wasn’t decreasing in size no matter how much I knitted! I also notice some people have put eyelets in. Do you think you’d make another?

I don’t think I’ll make another. It took FOREVER and I used DK weight. I put it away for quite a while then powered through to end it. I can’t imagine making it in fingering, I don’t have the patience 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. highlandheffalump says:

I finally finished mine and you can see the pre-blocked version on my blog…it has much sharper teeth on my blocked version…I love it.

When I bought a used spinning wheel it had some singles on that I made 2 ply from and I am knitting another hitchhiker! This time on bigger needles and putting eyelets on row 8! It’s so comforting to not need to look at a pattern and I couldn’t resist as I can take it camping and knit it anywhere.

7. Toniruth says:

Love your hitchhiker shaw in this yarn. Also interested in the knitting bag that was in one of your photos of the shaw in progress…was that one of your earlier projects?