Cleo #3

I would love to say the third time is the charm…but it wasn’t.

I am determined to find the right fit for me with the Cleo Skirt.

I realize it is meant to be a full skirt (lots of pleats, etc), but I can’t get the sizing right.

My first Cleo was done strictly by the measurements as noted in the pattern.

Way too big.

Cleo Skirt

I had shortened the elastic quite a bit, but there was just too much material.

Second Cleo, I fiddled with the sizing and it was better…I could wear it out and although I still felt large and in charge, I received many compliments.

A3757F03-36FB-41D2-B16E-784274DAE13A

Third Cleo, I kept the same sizing because I was hesitant to change the size again as I was working with a different material (had it been quilting cotton, I would have decreased size again).

I found the most adorable fabric in the clearance section at Joann’s ages ago (I believe for 70 or 90% off).

It is from the Gertie Collection (Blog By Gertie).

I thought it would make an adorable summer skirt.

This sewed well and is very cute!

img_9608

Here is Cleo #3.

img_9762

Now for the bad part.

I was sewing along quite nicely…pockets-a breeze, pleats-looking good, then I sewed the waist band/elastic and went to turn it right side out.

Ummmmmm, it already was right side out.

Thats right, I was cruising along and sewed the waist band on basically inside out.

Now a good, meticulous sewer would have ripped it all out and redone it.

Yeah.

I don’t have time for that.

It doesn’t look bad so I kept 🙂

img_9750

Now, this is skirt is still little too big.

Cleo #4 (yes, I will be attempting again) will be a size large with a possible medium for the back.

I am nothing if not determined!

Have a good Sunday!

Joining YOP on Ravlerly

YOP8s_medium

#madebyrae #cleoskirt #raemademedoit

Linked to:

Creative Jewish Mom

Sew Can Do

21 thoughts on “Cleo #3

1. Marsha Noce says:

If anyone gets close enough to notice the waistband is on inside out, they are waaaay too close. I think it is just fine. I really like the cleo skirts you have made. I so want to get back into sewing clothes. I find it hard to find patterns that fit me properly. I am too pear shaped for most patterns.

2. Ruth says:

I love the cute selection of fabrics you’ve used in each of your Cleo garments! I hope #4 is the charm and you get it just right. I’d not have noticed the waist band inside out only you’d mentioned it and I’m with Marsha, if anyone notices, they are wayyyyy to close!

3. Renee Anne says:

See, this is exactly why I don’t sew. I’m not a out of the box shape so I’d constantly be putzing with the pattern to try to get it right. ::sigh:: Of course, the same could be said for knitting…

4. Lucy Bowen says:

They all look fabulous and I too, would not have noticed the waistband. I have done similar things many times! I need to go back and adjust my many skirts this summer.

I don’t blame you for being determined with perfecting the Cleo. That’s a cute skirt on you! I love the fabrics you’ve chosen. The darker one is so pretty, and the beach scene fabric is adorable!!! What fun that would be to wear.

6. Iris B. says:

I take your word for it that they are all too large, because to me they all look great!! I do get the frustration, though, when something doesn’t quite fit the way you want it to, it’s one of the reasons I rarely sew clothes these days because I’m just a little too slap-dash, and then I get annoyed when it doesn’t quite look the way I want it to! Really loving this skirt though, and the fabrics you’ve chosen are adorable.

7. Ella says:

I hear you about the sizing… I’m way smaller than average, so I have to adjust everything. And by everything, I mean basically reworking every pattern because usually proportions are way off for me. You’ve done a great job with your cleos, I love them all.