Tablet Sleeve

Although I own a tablet I love (a Samsung) and use it often to read via Libby (library) and  Kindle, I opted to purchase a Kindle Reader on Amazon Prime Day.

Mainly because I spend a lot of time in the back yard, on the deck reading while the kids are playing in the blow up pool.

Unfortunately, my tablet has too much glare to allow me to read-even under the umbrella.

I do both real books and ebooks, but probably more ebooks.

Instead of purchasing a case, I opted to make one.

I used this video tutorial from Shabby Fabrics.

I’ve used other tutorials from this company and have always been happy with the end results (pillow cases, etc.).

I dug in my stash and found THE PERFECT fabric-BOOK SHELVES!

I opted not to make the pocket that was in the pattern as this is such a small case it would be pointless.

IMG_20190718_130749_Bokeh__01.jpg

One thing I am not happy with, is my topstitching in the final step.

My machine kept “jumping/moving” over the bulky seam (you can see my major dip on the right).

I seam ripped 3 times, but it kept happening (I think due to the small space, I was having trouble).

So, I may seam rip at some point and redo.

However, I may also make a whole new one.

This is cute and the e-reader fits, but it is super snug (like “press the e-reader into my chin as I pull up the case” snug).

EDIT:  actually, its almost as if it stretched a bit!  It fits perfectly now!

IMG_20190718_130911__01.jpg

Luckily, I have more of this fabric!

(Don’t you love my thread catcher/container??? I found it in my local antique/consignment shop…makes my happy to throw my thread snips in there).

My machine definitely needs a tune up.

Unfortunately, the class I was going to take (all about cleaning and caring for vintage machines) was cancelled.

A local fabric company in Rhode Island is going to have someone in the lobby to tune up machines soon, so I’ll probably bring it and then putter around looking at fabric!).

Have a great week!

17 thoughts on “Tablet Sleeve

1. Marsha Noce says:

The tablet holder is very nice. The fabric is perfect for it. That is strange about the overstitching dipping in the same place each time you tried to do it. It doesn’t look any thicker there than any other place on the holder. I do like the button closure. Great job. Hopefully once your machine is tuned up it will behave itself.

I love the fabric you used for your tablet sleeve. And a thread catcher container?!? I didn’t realize I needed one, but I sure do now. How cute is yours! Looking around now for what I’m going to use for mine! 🙂

3. kimmery4 says:

I really do love your fabric and thread keep jar! I also have a tablet but rarely read on it as I have an old Kindle Fire I prefer. I have a few authors whose books I buy in hardback because they are my favorite–but mostly read on the Kindle due to old eyes!
    I hope you have a wonderful week lounging at the pool and soaking up the summer!
    xoxo

Yes, I do prefer real books (love the smell and the cracking open of a new book) but this Kindle is super light to throw in my bag. I feel naked without a book 🙂

4. Stefanie says:

Fun fabric; I love it! I learned from topstitching so many zipper pouches that to use a longer stitch. So I usually sew a 2.5 stitch; when I topstitch I go up to 3; the outcome is much better. I want to make a tablet case also; I have a few patterns pinned.

5. Mary-Anne says:

Great idea making the ereader case. I found one for cheap at Staples clearance and it protects my e-reader very well. I would like to learn how to maintain my old singer sewing machine – I will have to check around for a course in the fall. Thanks for the idea.