I really want to build a wardrobe of useful, comfortable clothes.
At the end of 2019, so many people were posting their Make Nine’s.
Instagram user Julie_makes posted a Make Nine that, seriously, was my dream wardrobe.
I love everything about this picture.
I am going to shamelessly try to emulate (ie copy) her style.
So, putting my toe in the water I started small.
First item, 100 Acts of Sewing’s Shirt No. 1.
I had some cotton striped fabric in my stash that I thought would work well for my idea.
I recently joined Creativebug specifically for the access to many patterns I had been eyeing, in particular 100 Acts of Sewing.
Using one of the variations, I made a striped Shirt No.1.
I had made this shirt once before (still need to hem it) and knew I was a large.
This time I didn’t want it to be a crop shirt, and because I am tall, I added 4 inches to the length.
I also wanted to make the front yoke stripes go horizontally.
So, I cut the pattern just below the arms (the cut line is on the pattern) and cut my front yoke and body separately.
To each piece I added 1/2 inch for seam allowance.
The back is one piece with the stripes going vertically.
This came together easily.
Once again the neckline is the most problematic section for me.
I only lowered the front neckline 1/2 inch as a wanted a boat neck (for future makes I would lower at least 3/4 inch, I find myself tugging a bit).
I did a bias neck binding and this time I did it after I did my shoulder seams, but before I did the side seams (I think in the accompanying video on Creativebug, she has you do it after).
I really want to learn how to do facings, I think it would suit me better.
I also think inset sleeves are a better for for me.
That means Tunic No. 1 is my next project!
Have a good week!